'The Statue of Christ'. This is the second casting, in concrete, of a statue of Blundell's School in Devon. It was created by an 18 year old pupil, Alain John. The Headmaster, Neville Gorton, later became Bishop of Coventry and on the death of Alain John, an RAF navigator, in 1943 at the age of 23, the statue was recast for Coventry as a memorial to those who lost their lives in the war. The Statue represents Christ blessing the multitude. Coventry Cathedral, also known as St Michael's Cathedral, is the seat of the Bishop of Coventry and the Diocese of Coventry, in Coventry, West Midlands, England. The current (9th) bishop is the Right Revd Christopher Cocksworth.
The city has had three cathedrals. The first was St. Mary's, a monastic building, only a few ruins of which remain. The second was St Michael's, a 14th century Gothic church later designated Cathedral, that remains a ruined shell after its bombing during the Second World War. The third is the new St Michael's Cathedral, built after the destruction of the former and a celebration of 20th century architecture. St Michael's church was largely constructed between the late 14th century and early 15th century. It was one of the largest parish churches in England when, in 1918, it was elevated to cathedral status on the creation of Coventry Diocese. This St Michael's Cathedral now stands ruined, bombed almost to destruction during the Coventry Blitz on 14 November 1940 by the German Luftwaffe. Only the tower, spire, the outer wall and the bronze effigy and tomb of its first bishop, Huyshe Wolcott Yeatman-Biggs, survived. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coventry_Cathedral .
Coventry CathedralSt Michael's CathedralCoventryBishop of CoventryDiocese of CoventryBombedDestructionStatueAlain JohnMemorialChristWest MidlandsRuinsCathedralBritainTravelGreat BritainUnited KingdomEngland1326