The old market cross. Stow-on-the-Wold is a market town and civil parish in Gloucestershire, England. It is situated on top of an 800 ft (244 m) hill, at the convergence of a number of major roads through the Cotswolds, including the Fosse Way (A429). The town was founded as a planned market place by Norman lords to take advantage of trade on the converging roads. Fairs have been held by royal charter since 1330 and an annual horse fair is still held on the edge of the town. There has been a market here since 1107, when Henry II granted a charter, and changed the name of the town from Edwardstow.
StowontheWoldmarket townGloucestershireCotswoldsNormanBritainTravelCastleGreat BritainUnited KingdomEnglandmarket crossStowTheWold0104