Yaquina Bay Lighthouse, Newport, Oregon
The Yaquina Bay Light is a lighthouse built in 1871 soon after the founding of the city of Newport, Oregon, United States. It is located on the north side of Yaquina Bay. The Yaquina Bay Light was built by Ben Simpson and first lit on November 3, 1871. It was active for only three years due to the establishment of the Yaquina Head Light in 1873, located 3 miles (4.8 km) north of Yaquina Bay. The bay lighthouse was decommissioned on October 1, 1874, because the Yaquina Head Light made it obsolete. It was listed by the National Register of Historic Places in 1970 and restored under the Historic Preservation Act in 1974, at which time ownership was transferred to the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department.
YaquinaBayLighthouse1940Yaquina Bay LighthouseYaquina BayNewportOregonPhotographyDon Tibbits