Chatham Lighthouse, Chatham, Massachusetts
Chatham Lighthouse, known as Twin Lights prior to 1923, is a lighthouse in Chatham, Massachusetts, near the "elbow" of Cape Cod. The station was established in 1808, the second light on Cape Cod. To distinguish it from Highland Light, the first Cape Cod light, and to act as a range, twin octagonal 40 ft (12m) wooden towers were built. They were on skids so that they could be moved to keep them in line with the entrance channel as it shifted. Samuel Nye was appointed as the first Keeper of the Chatham Lights by President Jefferson on October 7, 1808. Today, the former keeper's house is an active U.S. Coast Guard station, and on-duty personnel living quarters.
Chatham LighthouseChathamMassachusettsLighthouseTwin LightsCape CodCoast Guard0655o
From Chatham Lighthouse