Farmers Museum. Cooperstown, New York
The Farmers' Museum is a private, non-governmental educational organization. The land has been part of a working farm since 1813, when it was owned by James Fenimore Cooper. Judge Samuel Nelson, whose office is part of The Farmers' Museum Village, bought the farm in 1829 and raised sheep. Fenimore Farm, as it came to be known, changed hands again in the 1870s, when it was acquired by the Clark family. The Farmers' Museum opened its doors to the public in 1944. The Farmers' Museum is located in Cooperstown, New York, and is probably the second-best-known attraction in the town, after the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. Just north of Cooperstown, it overlooks Otsego Lake and recreates rural life from the 19th century through exhibits and interactive workshops. There are more than two dozen authentic, historic buildings on the grounds, including a tavern, a farmstead, a printing office, a pharmacy, a blacksmith's shop, a doctor's office and a general store. There are also exhibits of nineteenth-century games, a children's barnyard and the Cardiff Giant.